How can I upload or delete my content? (FTP)
Please use any FTP client (FTP = File Transfer Protocol) to transfer your content/websites to our web server.
FTP clients are available as freeware versions, browser add-ons, etc. Some software programs for designing webpages include FTP clients.
Settings in your FTP client
Please ensure that you have entered the following settings in your FTP client:
|FTP server:||Your (sub-) domain name / (*) alternatively: IP address of the webserver|
|FTP user:||Your (sub-) domain name|
|FTP password:||Your secret FTP password|
- If it's a newly created FTP account please use the IP address of the webserver as FTP server name instead of the (sub-) domain name.
The reason is that DNS queries may not yet resolve as desired (delay in the DNS).
- (*) You find the IP address of the webserver within the Webspace Admin. Please click on the detail icon.
- Optionally, the connection can be encrypted (SSL/TLS). This setting is recommended for security reasons.
- Our web-servers do support FTPS (FTP over SSL). Our web-servers do NOT support SFTP (FTP over SSH).
- After the FTP connection has been established successfully you find yourself in the directory created for the domain.
- It is NOT required to create again the directory specified under Webspace Admin after the FTP connection has been established because you are already in the relevant directory. Now, please transfer the files via the FTP client.
- An index file (index.php, index html, etc.) must be located at the top level. Otherwise, you will receive a "forbidden" message when you try to browse the webpage.
- You can delete all the content from your webspace at once. In case you want to delete all the content from your webspace, it is good to have an FTP account that points to the root directory ("/").
- If you do not have such an ftp account yet, you can create one under "Assign Web-Directories&Domains/Subdomains". Per example "root-access.my-1st-domain.com, that points to the root directory ("/").
- As soon as you connect with that FTP user, all files and sub-directories in your webspace will be shown and can be deleted if required.
- It is not possible to delete the folders with your weblogs and webstats because both of the folders are write-protected.
- Through an FTP account that points to the root directory (/), you will be able to access and manage all sub-directories in that webspace.